The Oakland University Police Department has received a report of a sexual assault that is said to have occurred at approximately 5 p.m. on Friday, November 13, 2020. The following information was reported to police today, Wednesday, November 18.
A female student reported that a male, non-student she had seen on prior occasions assaulted her in his vehicle – a red, older model Nissan. The incident took place in the P-5 parking lot on the northwest side of campus.
The suspect is described as a 22-year-old male standing approximately 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighing approximately 130 pounds. He has short hair with no facial hair and was wearing a black soccer Jersey and black pants at the time of the incident. Police are currently following up on a possible identity of the suspect.
The Oakland University Police Department recommends that campus community members familiarize themselves with what constitutes sexual assault and, as a community, be vigilant in stopping it:
- Always seek consent. Stop your sexual advances if the other person indicates no interest, and especially if they say “no.” Engaging in any type of sexual activity without the explicit consent of your partner is sexual assault.
- The absence of a “no” is not a “yes.”
- It is important to remember when meeting people for the first time to do so in a public setting.
- Trust your instincts. If a situation or location feels unsafe or uncomfortable, it probably isn’t the best place to be.
- If you feel your safety is at risk, or need assistance or an escort on campus; please contact the Oakland University Police Department.