In the event of a situation requiring the “lockdown” of the entire campus, or a specific portion thereof, a lockdown directive will be disseminated through the OU Alert Notification System.
Upon receiving a lockdown directive, the following general guidelines shall be followed unless otherwise specified in the lockdown directive:
General Guidelines - All Buildings and Facilities
All interior doors and rooms of all buildings and facilities shall be locked.
Exterior doors of all buildings and facilities covered by the lockdown directive (including all East Campus facilities) shall be locked, with the exception of buildings specifically designated as “academic buildings”.
Generally, exterior doors of “academic buildings” (with the exception of the Lowry Early Childhood Education Center and Kresge Library) will remain unlocked to provide a place of refuge for members of the campus community who may be outdoors when the lockdown directive is issued.
However, depending on the specific nature of the event or emergency, it is possible that a complete lockdown of all buildings, including exterior doors of academic buildings, may be ordered. In such an event, Facilities Management is responsible for ensuring custodial staff accomplish the directive.
During any lockdown process, occupants should be advised to:
- remain calm and quiet
- stay away from windows and doors
- not enter building corridors
- close window treatments
- turn off lights, computer monitors, televisions and radios
- turn cell phones to vibrate and refrain from using telephones except for emergency notification to the OUPD at (248) 370-3331
- assist persons with disabilities who may be in need
Remain in the room/building, even if a fire alarm has been activated, unless:
- an “all clear” message has been disseminated through the University’s Emergency Notification System
- occupants are in imminent danger
- occupants have first-hand knowledge of a fire that is an imminent threat
- advised to leave by a uniformed emergency first responder (police, fire, etc.)
No one should attempt to physically restrain any person who insists upon leaving a locked down room or facility.