The Oakland University Police Department learned earlier today that a confirmed case of COVID-19 infection has occurred within the campus community. The affected individual is a staff member who has not been on campus since Wednesday, March 25. This is the first known confirmed case of COVID-19 infection within the campus community.
Faculty, staff and students who have had direct contact with the affected individual have been notified and given appropriate medical direction.
All other campus community members are advised to continue practice the following illness prevention measures:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing – staying at least six feet apart from others.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or a bent elbow. Immediately throw tissues in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
For more information on the COVID-19 pandemic and Oakland University’s response measures, visit the COVID-19 web section.
This information is being provided in compliance with the “Timely Warning” and “Emergency Notification” provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998.