Sample Syllabus Language
The Oakland University Police Department encourages faculty members to add emergency preparedness language in their class syllabus. Safety is a campus wide initiative and the more exposure these procedures receive, the better prepared our community will be. If you have any questions regarding emergency preparedness procedures, please contact us.
In the event of an emergency arising on campus, the instructor will notify you of actions that may be required to ensure your safety. It is the responsibility of each student to understand the evacuation and “lockdown” guidelines to follow when an emergency is declared. These simple steps are a good place to start:
- OU uses an emergency notification system through text, email, and landline. These notifications include campus closures, evacuation, lockdowns and other emergencies. Register for these notifications at http://oupolice.com/emergencies/alerts/.
- Based on the class cellphone policy, ensure that one cellphone is on in order to receive and share emergency notifications with the instructor in class.
- If an emergency arises on campus, call the OUPD at (248) 370-3331. Save this number in your phone, and put it in an easy-to-find spot in your contacts.
- Review protocol for evacuation, lockdown, and other emergencies via the classroom’s red books (hanging on the wall) and oupolice.com/emergencies.
- Review with the instructor and class what to do in an emergency (evacuation, lockdown, snow emergency).