In the event of a power failure, gas leak or other mechanical malfunction, Oakland University personnel should follow these procedures.
Power failures are usually of short duration, so it is usually advisable to remain in your building or office. If it appears that the outage will be lengthy, you will be notified by your supervisor in regards to the closing of the University.
- Shut off all electrical equipment, especially computer equipment. When the power is restored, there may be spikes and surges that could cause damage.
- If there appears to be a reduction of electrical power (brown out), turn off any equipment that has a motor. The reduced voltage will damage motors and can cause overheating and fires.
- If the loss of power is affecting only your office or building, notify work control at x2381 during normal business hours and OU Police after hours.
Gas Leak (If natural gas odor is detected in the building)
- Evacuate the building immediately.
- Turn off open flames and other sources of ignition as you leave.
- Leave doors and windows open to help ventilate the building.
- Notify OU Police once outside the building.
- Remain a safe distance from the building until the building has been declared safe to enter.
Other Mechanical Problems
Report other mechanical problems during normal business hours to Work Control at x2381 and after normal hours to OU Police.