Upon receiving a lock down directive through one or more of the methods comprising the OU Alert Notification System, the following procedures will be implemented:
All exterior doors and all interior doors of rooms and facilities for Facilities Management, Buildings and Grounds Maintenance, Central Heating, and the west end of the Police and Support Services Building shall be locked.
During any lock down process, occupants should be advised to:
- remain calm and quiet
- stay away from windows and doors
- not enter building corridors
- close window treatments
- turn off lights, computer monitors, televisions and radios
- turn cell phones to vibrate and refrain from using telephones except for emergency notification to the OUPD at (248) 370-3331
- assist persons with disabilities who may be in need
Remain in the room/building, even if a fire alarm has been activated, unless:
- an “all clear” message has been disseminated through the University’s Emergency Notification System
- occupants are in imminent danger
- occupants have first hand knowledge of a fire that is an imminent threat
- advised to leave by a uniformed emergency first responder (police, fire, etc.)
Employees that are in vehicles are to leave the campus and remain off until they are notified by their supervisor.
No one should attempt to physically restrain any person who demands to be allowed to leave a locked down room or facility.
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT STAFF – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Facilities Management Administration will ensure that custodial, skilled trades, Central Heat Plant, grounds staff are notified by two-way radio or cell phone to initiate lock down procedures, including:
[list-item]Lock all entrance doors[/list-item]
[list-item]Close overhead loading dock doors[/list-item]
[list-item]Secure trash compactor door[/list-item]
Facilities Management Administration will ensure that Aramark Management is notified to initiate lock down procedures, including:
- To take cover and follow the general guidelines above.
Facilities Management Administration will ensure that all vendors and contractors are notified of the lock down directive. All activities will cease.
Depending on the circumstances of each incident, Facilities Management Administration will determine the most appropriate location in the building to shelter occupants.