Upon receiving a lock down directive through one or more of the methods comprising the OU Alert Notification System, the following procedures will be implemented:
All exterior doors of the facility and all interior doors of rooms and offices shall be locked.
During any lock down process, occupants should be advised to:
- remain calm and quiet
- stay away from windows and doors
- not enter building corridors
- close window treatments
- turn off lights, computer monitors, televisions and radios
- turn cell phones to vibrate and refrain from using telephones except for emergency notification to the OUPD at (248) 370-3331
- assist persons with disabilities who may be in need
Remain in the room/building, even if a fire alarm has been activated, unless:
- an “all clear” message has been disseminated through the University’s Emergency Notification System
- occupants are in imminent danger
- occupants have first hand knowledge of a fire that is an imminent threat
- advised to leave by a uniformed emergency first responder (police, fire, etc.)
However, no one should attempt to physically restrain any person who demands to be allowed to leave a locked down room or facility.
ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT STAFF – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Place staff members near exit areas (but out of sight from the exterior of the building) of the 1st floor to ask occupants to remain in the building.
LOCK DOWN DIRECTIVES ISSUED DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS
All Athletics Staff will be notified that a lock down directive has been issued and established protocol shall be followed. Staff should not attempt to leave the building.
- All outside entrance doors will be locked
- All shared doors with Campus Recreation will remain locked
LOCK DOWN DIRECTIVES ISSUED DURING SPECIAL EVENTS (VARSITY OR OUTSIDE RENTAL)
Athletics Staff and guests will be notified in person or by the O’Rena PA System that a lock down directive has been issued. The notification will include an announcement of all of the General Guidelines listed above.
- Same protocol as above shall be followed
- In addition, and unless otherwise directed, all Athletics Staff and/or guests shall remain inside the area of use (O’Rena, Natatorium, etc.)
LOCK DOWN DIRECTIVE ISSUED DURING AN OUTDOOR EVENT (VARSITY OR OUTSIDE RENTAL)
All activity will be stopped and Athletics Staff and/or guests shall seek shelter via the SE O’Rena emergency exit door that opens at the ground level of Campus Recreation. An Athletics Staff member inside the building will open
the door from the inside.