Campus Security Authorities

What is a CSA?

The OU Police Department encourages all members of the campus community to report crimes on a timely basis. However, under the Clery Act, CSAs are required to report Clery Act qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University. CSAs should only report those crimes that have not been previously reported to University Police or another University CSA. The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students, in particular, may be hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.

The law defines four categories of CSAs:

  • University Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.
  • Non-police individuals of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on university property.  (e.g. Building and Grounds, Night Watch, ushers at sporting events, etc.)
  • Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.  (e.g. deans, student affairs professionals, student housing staff, athletic director/assistant directors, coaches, student activities coordinators, student judicial officers, and faculty/staff advisors to student organizations.)
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
I’ve been told I’m a CSA. Now What?

Getting started is easy:

I’ve been told about a crime. What Should I Do?

When a crime is reported to you, first ask the person if they would like to report it to OU Police. If so, contact us at (248) 370-3331. If you have firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with OU Police, then are not obligated to take any further action. However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report with OU Police, leaving you with no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a police report was filed, then you must still complete and submit a CSA Report Form.

Gather as much information about the incident to sufficiently fill out the CSA Report Form. You should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a CSA Report Form should be completed and submitted!

What Should I Tell the Reporting Party?

The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:

“As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the University. I am required to report this incident to OU Police for data gathering. If you request confidentiality, the CSA Report Form will not include your name, or that of any other involved individuals. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?”