The Oakland University Police Department has received a report of a sexual assault that occurred on Wednesday, September 26, 2018. The following information was reported to the police by a Campus Security Authority and the complainant wishes to remain anonymous.
The assault is reported to have occurred in a residential building on campus at approximately 1 p.m. The suspect was described as male and no other identifying details are available at this time. The suspect and complainant had a previous relationship and were known to each other. An arrest has not been made in this case.
The Oakland University Police Department reminds campus community members that in intimate, personal interactions, individuals should:
- always seek consent;
- stop sexual advances if the other person indicates no interest, and especially if they say “no”;
- remember that engaging in any type of sexual activity without the explicit consent of a partner is sexual assault;
- remember that the absence of a “no” is not a “yes”;
- be aware that sexual assaults often occur in a residence by a known party.
In all situations, individuals should:
- trust their instincts. If a situation or location feels unsafe or uncomfortable, it probably isn’t the best place to be;
- contact the Oakland University Police Department anytime they feel their safety may be at risk or they wish to utilize the SAFEWalk Escort program;
- call for help when witnessing a crime.
For more information on campus safety, visit Staying Safe on Campus.